Friday, October 29, 2010

Hey Mr. Talisman

I remember the last time I carved a pumpkin was in elementary school-over fifteen years ago.

Since then, pumpkins and I haven't been that tight and I'm sorry to say I have neglected them.

But in the spirit of making changes and beginning traditions, last night marked year one of carving the Great Pumpkin Powlie.

Pumpkin + Pal + Owlie = Powlie

Even though it's been a few sleeps since I've been up to my elbows in pumpkin guts, I have not forgotten that stringy texture. Or that smell. Ohhh, that smell.

It's that initial waft you catch as soon as the lid is lifted that really brings the onslaught of dry heaves.

After fighting the gags (á la Sweet Dee), I passed the torch (thumb scraper) to Chris to let him have a go.

René cleaned the seeds for baking while Chris showed that gourd who was boss- and it wasn't Tony Danza.

Although, I would be a little worried if Tony Danza was at our house.

Any-hooters (get it? Hooters. Like an owl)...

Chris completed carving and I prepared Sir Owlie for his coronation. After saying a few words about our great times together and how lucky I am to have a talisman such as him, it was time to watch owlie glow.

Drum roll please...








Thank you, Owlie, for being with me on this journey.

Yours forever,

Emily


- Posted from my awesome iPhone