Thursday, August 19, 2010

no one ever gave Mick Jagger a cupcake

I need to brag. I'm not allowed to reveal the reason for my rights just yet, but I am so proud of my husband and the recognition he receives for being talented. He deserves it.

We've been through quite the journey together and will continue in that fashion as we make a mark on anniversary numero dos.
Although it's been part of my life for six years (and counting), it's hard to get used the lifestyle that comes with the musician who is your other half.

Some things have become familiar, but I will forever be baffled at some things fans say and do to gain attention from a band member-married or not.
Teenage hormones can rage. I know. Been there. When I was 16, all I wanted was to marry Rivers Cuomo and for our children to wear black horn-rimmed glasses. However, 16 was (get ready for a shocker) ten years ago. TEN-count that on both your hands.

Obviously the times, they are a'changing, and bands have become more accessible to fans. Through myspace, facebook, twitter, etc. etc. etc., internet stalking is at an all-time-high, and people are able to contact whomever, whenever.

I agree that musicians should be personable, but to what extent? What happened to the mystique of a band? What happened to lusting after Chris Carrabba* in your Spin magazine instead of trying to DM him your number on twitter? Muse never stands behind the merch table after a quick set at Wembley, and I'm positive no one has been able to get a batch of cookies past security at an Aerosmith concert.

It doesn't bother me when my husband takes the time to answer questions and take pictures. I think it's exceptional when fans are able to relate to music and the individuals who make/perform it. What bothers me are the few people who take advantage of this generosity and attend shows only to skank around. I only speak to a part and not the whole. There are a few bad apples who ruin it for everyone.

end scene.

*name used for the sole purpose of an example and was not actually ever an object of my affection.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know what you mean. sorry if this seems like i'm creeping, but i met your husband at a show in seattle and talked a while. we talked about you. about how there is a lack of respect when it comes to girls who see the wedding ring on his finger and still hit on him. the way he talked about you made me melt, it's so obvious that he loves you SO much. seeing your twitter updates on my feed always puts a smile on my face. (: sorry if this seems creepy or stalkerish. there is too much accessibility to people because of internet, like you said.

emaline said...

Not as creepy as you think; it's easy to find information if you put it out there. I'm glad someone shares my sentiments, I was beginning to think I was alone! Thank you for sharing, anon :)