Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"when I go forward, you go backward

somewhere we will meet."

Give you a dollar if you can guess that song. No cheatsies.

It's funny how things turn out. After graduating with a degree in Art Education from
Louisiana Tech, coming back to live in Shreveport was THE LAST thing I wanted to do.

I graduated, said goodbye to my Ruston home for good, and was back in the Turner household in no time.

For a solid two months post graduation I attempted applying with schools in Dallas and the surrounding area. I knew I wanted to leave home, but not be too far away. None of my application attempts ever came to fruition and I luckily* nabbed a job at a local insurance agency. I knew nothing about the business but was certainly willing to learn-it was my first REAL job.

*I say "luckily" because of how it came about. It was almost a fluke and I probably wouldn't have had a job if I didn't answer the phone that fateful day.

Buuut, that's neither here nor there because I'm no longer with that agency and now with the Office of Congressman John Fleming, which I can say is just where I want to be.

Anyway, my point is this: I never ever ever ever thought I would again be making a "home" in the town I was reared. I always imagined Shreveport as the city I would recall in distant memories and think, 'I loved it when I was there, but I'm glad I've moved on.'

Oh, but how things change. I suppose jobs and marriage can make things fall into place and change your perspective.

I'll never pass up an opportunity to move if the conditions are right. And I can't say that I've given up being adventurous in my old age, but I am content here. My husband is here (most of the time), my family is here-and my extended family is close, my friends are here. I couldn't ask for much more to keep me satisfied.

However, it seems one of those dear friends has decided to uproot and plant new ones in New Orleans. I blame her husband for finding an awesome job and taking her away from me, but I do understand. I am oh so excited for them (and a bit jealous). René-I'll be down there for every fest. No worries.




So, I'm STILL trying to convince Chris to take me to Paris again. What would be the best strategy?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Shout out!
And the song is def. Radiohead. I just don't know song titles much at all.